A saying goes by that first a man takes a drink, and then it is the drink which takes the drink, then it’s the drink which takes a man. While it is true that alcohol consumption for a prolonged period takes a toll on drinker’s appearance, it affects the health of the person in a far worse way. These effects of alcohol consumption which are invisible, damages organs to a very serious extent, sometimes to the point of no return.
Severe effects of Alcohol on the body
- Abusing alcohol can cause bacteria to grow in Intestines: Alcohol abuse can cause bacterial growth in guts which has the potential to gradually pass the intestinal wall and cause liver damage.
- Too much of anything is bad for health: Too much consumption of alcohol can cause irregular heartbeats also known as Arrhythmia and heart weakening, known as Cardiomyopathy.
- Risk of cancer: Drinking can put a person at risk of cancer of mouth, breast, oesophagus, throat and also Liver.
- The weakening of the immune System: Alcohol abuse can weaken the immune system and makes the body more prone to infections. A weak immune system cannot fight the infections in an effective way and that is why it is noticeable that alcohol abusers catch A cold, infections and flu more than people who don’t drink.
- Other diseases: Alcohol consumption can cause other diseases like inflammation of the pancreas, pancreatitis, heart burning, high blood pressure etc.
What is drug detoxification?
People not familiar with the term might ask what is drug detoxification when it’s simply the interference when someone is physically dependent on any drug, treatments for overdose, and withdrawal syndrome.
Standard drug detoxification process involves the steps of evaluation, stabilization and then treatment. There is also a process called rapid detoxification which involves heavy sedation along with Opioid drugs. It is as controversial as it is expensive and dangerous.